Sharing videos on Instagram can be both time-saving and visually appealing when posting content to your followers. However, with the addition of feature called Reels, it can be difficult to figure out the right way to post a normal video on Instagram. This article will explain how to post a video on Instagram not as Reels but with the old post format and how to get it to display correctly.
1. What is Reels?
Reels is a short-form video format on Instagram. It allows users to create and discover entertaining content up to 15 seconds long. Posts can be edited with creative tools such as speed controls, different filters, and popular music titles that can be used as soundtracks.
Reels are made with an in-app camera and can be found in the app’s Explore tab. Videos can be shared to users’ feeds or stories, as well as to others’ profiles. Through Reels, users can easily connect with a larger audience, allowing for more unique expression and creativity.
Users also have access to a larger selection of available effects, such as visual effects, lighting and audio effects to apply to their videos. Furthermore, tools such as Spin and Stop-motion, enable users to create more dynamic and visually appealing content.
- Create and discover entertaining content up to 15 seconds
- Edit with creative tools such as speed controls, different filters, and popular music titles
- Find Reels in the Explore tab
- Share videos to users’ feeds or stories, as well as to others’ profiles
- Access to a larger selection of available effects
- Tools such as Spin and Stop-motion allow users to create more dynamic content
2. Understanding Instagram’s Media Post Types
Instagram provides a variety of post types to its users allowing them to share different types of content. As the features are constantly evolving, it’s important to stay up to date on the types of posts available.
This is the most basic type of post on Instagram. An image post consists of an image or a series of images with an optional caption and location. Images must conform to Instagram’s aspect ratio, which is 4:5 for portrait format and 1.91:1 for landscape format.
Video posts allow users to upload longer videos, from 3 to 60 seconds in length. Instagram supports the following video formats: .MOV, .MP4, and .AVI. All videos must have a resolution of at least 640 x 360, with an aspect ratio of either 1.91:1 or 4:5.
Carousel posts allow users to share multiple images and videos in one post. Each post can include up to 10 images or videos. Like image posts, these images must adhere to Instagram’s aspect ratio. Carousel posts can also be accompanied by an optional caption and location.
Stories are the most recent type of post added to Instagram. Their purpose is to provide a place for more ephemeral content and to allow users to share what they’re doing in the moment. Stories can be images and videos up to 15 seconds in length. Unlike other post types, stories also include stickers, text, and other interactive elements. They can also be shared with Instagram’s “Direct Message” feature.
3. Prerequisites to Posting a Video
Having a Camera
Having access to a camera or mobile device is the first and key pre-requisite to post a video online. It can be a casual webcam, a smartphone or even a professional DSLR-camera; there is a wide variety of digital cameras available at various price ranges that can be used for this purpose.
Video Editing and Creation Tool
To create videos, access to a specialized video editing and video creation tool is a must. These tools provide features like cutting, trimming, adding effects and text, inserting images, adding music and sound effects, etc. A list of some free video editing tools are:
- HitFilm Express
- DaVinci Resolve
- OpenShot Video Editor
- Windows Movie Maker
Video Sharing Platform
Finally, to upload and share videos, a dedicated video sharing platform, such as YouTube, must be used. These platforms provide necessary tools for easy creation, sharing and management of videos.
4. Posting a Video on Instagram Without Reels
Creating posts with video content on Instagram is a great way to engage with your followers. While their Reels feature is a popular and convenient way to share this type of content, it’s not the only option.
- Upload Native Video Content. You can post videos on Instagram that use the platform natively. You can record videos right in the app and post them, or upload videos from your device’s camera roll. This type of content is limited to one minute or less.
- Tag Brands in Your Video. Brands are always looking for influential individuals to partner with. When you shoot a video and create related content, add relevant brand tags to increase the post’s visibility. You may be able to work with the brand to create sponsored content or additional exposure.
- Create Stories with Video. If you have multiple videos to post, Instagram Stories is an ideal option. You can upload multiple videos, photos, and other content to create a collage-type story for your followers.
By taking advantage of the video-sharing options on Instagram, you can strengthen your presence, build your following, and even collaborate with brands. Creating and sharing video content is an effective way to get your followers’ attention and stand out from the competition.
5. Troubleshooting Tips
If you are having trouble with your device hardware or software, there are some tips and tricks you can use to troubleshoot the issue. Here are some tips:
- Check your device connection. Make sure all necessary cables and wireless networks are connected properly.
- Check the settings on your device to ensure they are set to meet the device’s requirements.
- Check the software updates for your device. Make sure to update the device driver and any necessary software.
- Check for any malware on the device. A system scan may be necessary to detect the presence of any viruses or malicious software.
- Try restarting your device. This will clear any temporary issues and reset the system.
If none of the above tips help, consider seeking technical support from a qualified technician. They can help diagnose the problem and provide the proper solution.
Before contacting a technician make sure to backup all important data stored on the device. If a repair or update is necessary, then all information will need to be restored to the device which can be a time-consuming process.
Hopefully this article has been helpful in providing assistance to post a video on Instagram not as Reels, but the old video post. With the right knowledge and steps, you can now easily post videos to your Instagram feed. Good luck with posting!