What you should know before switching to a private Instagram account
A brand new Instagram account’s privacy settings will be set to “public.” Your photos, videos, and Lives are public and can be viewed by anyone. However, Instagram has a privacy setting because the company is concerned about its users.
Let’s delve into the differences between a private and public Instagram account before you change your page’s settings.
- You can still find a private Instagram account by searching for the user’s username, but you won’t be able to view their posts or stories.
- Only people who follow a publication will be able to view its content, make comments, and like posts.
- Your Instagram followers won’t notice any difference if you decide to make your account private.
- Other Instagram users can only view your profile by sending a request with the following details. You can either grant permission or decline this request.
- Hashtagged photos will only be viewable by your followers in the hashtag search. The same holds true for the photo’s geotag and caption. The locations you list in your Instagram bio will be visible to everyone.
- Users who don’t follow a private account can still direct message the owner a photo or video.
- A private Instagram account’s information can still be shared by the account’s owner. If you share a link to a private Instagram post, for example, your entire Facebook audience will be able to see it.
- Your public profile can be toggled on and off at will.
If your aim is promoting and getting more followers with the help of hashtags and geotags, a private account isn’t for you. Followers can be acquired in this case through targeted advertising or advertising posts from bloggers.
Often, marketers use a private Instagram profile to track the effectiveness of advertising. They switch their public account to a private one on Instagram, buy ads from a blogger, then track the number of new followers by incoming requests.
However, if you don’t want all Instagram users to freely see your posts or if you’re annoyed by mass following, a private IG account is a good solution.
How to make your Instagram account private
You can switch to a private account on Instagram to keep your content hidden from prying eyes using the mobile app or web version.
Step 1: Launch Instagram and navigate to Preferences.
02. Tap Privacy.
Third, set your iPhone to Private Mode by going to Settings > Privacy > Account Privacy. On Android: Scroll a little bit down to find Private Account button.
04. Instagram will offer you to get acquainted with detailed information about visibility management on the official website.
Reasons why you can’t set your Instagram account to private
- The application hasn’t been updated for a long time. If you can’t set your Instagram account to private in the described way, perhaps the reason lies in the fact that the version of the app on your smartphone hasn’t been updated for a long time. So, it’s time to update it.
- You’re an owner of a business account. It won’t be possible to switch to a private Instagram account if you have a business account on Instagram in a simple way. To do this, you will first need to switch to a personal account and only then change your Instagram privacy settings.
How to switch from a private to public account on Instagram
To make the account public again, repeat all the same steps.
- Open Instagram and go to Settings.
- Find Privacy.
- Tap Account Privacy.
- Next to the Private Account, move the slider to the left.
- Confirm your actions.
Should you make your Instagram account private?
Sometimes bloggers specifically make their Instagram account private. If you want to see someone’s account, but it’s private, read our article to get to know how to see private accounts.
- Protection from mass complaints. Often accounts are blocked because of them. But the best way is to temporarily block your account if someone purposefully wants to eliminate your account.
- Advertising from other bloggers. Bloggers advertise your profile. If people are interested in your Instagram profile, they have to follow you to view the content.
If you are just starting to maintain an account, it’s better not to make your Instagram account private.
Increasingly, users of social networks are taking care of the security of their information, restricting the access to your content from prying eyes and leaving a limited number of users in the followers list. Follow directions in the article to change the privacy settings on Instagram.
If you want to make your Instagram account private because you don’t want people to find and follow you, you need more. For instance, stop your account from being suggested to other users.
However, if you are striving for popularity or are planning to become a blogger and monetize your account, this story isn’t about you. Develop your account and increase the coverage to reach the goal. If you’re wondering why you lose followers, you can find answers here.
I’m a passionate individual with a diverse range of interests encompassing reading, writing, blogging, technology, and games. 📚✍️🌐🎮 With a penchant for exploration and a constant hunger for knowledge, I immerse myself in these fields to continuously expand my horizons and hone my skills.