Social media has become an integral part of our lives. Instagram, in particular, has revolutionized the way we communicate with others and share our stories with the world. Of course, all social media platforms come with certain rules and guidelines that must be followed, and Instagram Stories are no different. In this article, we will explore the rules and regulations of Instagram Stories and what you should and should not do while using them.
1. Introduction to Instagram Stories
Instagram Stories is a feature available in the Instagram mobile app for creating and sharing a range of images and videos up to 15 seconds long. It’s publicly visible, but only lasts for 24 hours.
Creating Instagram Stories is easy and quick, and is a great opportunity to engage with followers in a more dynamic and creative way. You can design and upload story content in a few steps by adding photos, videos and text. You can also include stickers, GIFs and polls. It’s also possible to include Highlights to keep stories alive after their initial 24-hour lifespan.
To get started with Instagram Stories, you will need to create a profile if you have not already done so. You can then upload a profile picture or video and start creating content for your stories. Here are some features to keep in mind:
- Upload content from the past 24 hours: After you take a photo or video, you can upload it to your story.
- Add text and drawings: Change the color of the background and text and draw something with your finger.
- Include stickers: Use custom or predefined animated stickers to help bring stories to life.
- Add GIFs: Feature different GIFs and other images from GIPHY to make stories more fun.
- Interact with your followers: Keep your followers engaged by asking questions, creating polls or hosting challenges.
2. What are the Rules for Posting to Instagram Stories?
When you post a story to Instagram, there are a few rules that you need to know. First, each individual story must be 15 seconds or shorter. This could be a video clip, image, Boomerang, text, or a combination of clips. Second, each story can be up to 10 minutes long, with multiple segments that each follow the 15-second limits.
You can also include stickers, hashtag sticker, polls, and other features that make your story more interesting. Adding interactive features increases engagement, which can be beneficial to your business or personal account.
When creating a story, it’s important to keep in mind that content can’t be changed, so you may want to plan out your story before posting. Once it’s live, it can’t be edited. Things to avoid include:
- Excessive swearing
- Racism, sexism, and other forms of hate speech.
- Spam, such as URLs and advertisements
- Sharing direct messages without the sender’s permission
If you follow these rules, you can ensure that your stories are as effective and engaging as possible.
3. Limits on Content and Other Restrictions
The following is a list of content that is not allowed in a website:
- Pornography, defamatory, obscene, or offensive content
- Content that promotes illegal activities
- Content that contains malware, viruses, or other malicious software
- Content that is hateful or discriminates based on race, color, gender, nationality, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or age
- Pirated or copyrighted material
- Spam or phishing emails
It is the responsibility of the user to ensure that their content does not violate any laws, copyright or intellectual property rights or break any terms or agreements. If such violations are found, the user may be held liable for any legal damages arising from it.
All content shared must comply with the law and should not infringe rights of any third parties (e.g. copyright, trademark, etc.). Any violation of this policy can result in the immediate termination of user accounts.
4. Penalties for Violating the Rules of Instagram Stories
As Stories are a professional and recent medium on Instagram, the violations for improper usage are clearly outlined by the platform. The main violations include using potential inappropriate content, sharenting, harassing a user and copyright infringement. Penalties vary depending on the severity.
- Inappropriate content – Reported content, including graphic videos and images, is removed from the platform by Instagram. Additionally, accounts that have repeatedly posted inappropriate content will be banned.
- Sharenting – A potential violation of personal privacy, sharenting – or sharing a photo of someone else without their permission – is blocked from the platform. Accounts repeatedly doing so will be blocked from Stories for 24 hours.
- Harassing a user – This includes aggressive language, harassment and threats directed at another user. Accounts found to be participating in this kind of behaviour may be banned from the platform.
- Copyright Infringement – Instagram actively combats copyright infringement and removes posts containing unoriginal content. Additionally, accounts that repeatedly post copyrighted content may be blocked for a period of one month.
These penalties are in place to maintain a high-quality experience for Instagram users. Additionally, penalties may be more severe depending on the specific violation. Such as permanently banning an account if they repeatedly post graphic, distasteful material.
5. Conclusion: Benefits of Following the Rules of Instagram Stories
1. Improved Visibility and Reach
Following the rules of Instagram Stories can drastically improve the visibility and reach of an account. Users can take advantage of geotags, location tags, hashtags, and tagging other accounts to expand their audience. Leveraging these features can result in increased engagement, which leads to more meaningful connections.
2. Boosted Engagement and Leads
Creating a strong presence on Instagram Stories can help to boost engagement and generate leads. Craft stories that are visually appealing, engaging, and contain a call to action to encourage engagement. Leverage user-generated content as well as curated visual stories to drive organic traffic and increase the reach.
3. Enhanced Brand Awareness and Loyalty
Posting high-quality content on Instagram Stories can help to raise brand awareness, which can lead to increased loyalty from customers. Using strategic hashtags, geotags, and visuals can help to maximize reach and exposure. Creating content that resonates with followers will help to differentiate the brand in the market. Additionally, telling a story through visuals can help to solidify the brand’s presence in the market. It is important to remember that certain rules are in effect for how one should go about using Instagram Stories. Knowing what those rules are is essential for ensuring that the platform remains a safe and enjoyable space for all users. Ultimately, the best way to avoid breaking any rules when using Instagram Stories is to remember the basics: treat users with respect, remain mindful of copyright laws, and be aware of nudity and adult content regulations.