Instagram Stories are becoming increasingly popular, often being used as a way to share pictures, keep people up to date on life events, event advertise products. Knowing how to use the platform effectively can help you communicate your message to friends, family, and potentially even an audience of millions. In this article, we will explain precisely what it means to be first person on Instagram Story.
1. What is a First Person on an Instagram Story?
A First Person on an Instagram Story is the profile picture of the person who posted the Story. It is what viewers will see when they first start watching the Story, and it appears at the very beginning, before any other posts. The First Person is also the person who is tagged in the Story, if the Story includes tagging.
When creating an Instagram Story, the person can choose to use an existing photo or video, or they can create something new to post. In either case, the first person will be the poster’s profile picture. This is because the profile image is automatically used when creating a new Story, and the poster can replace it if they want to.
The use of a First Person on an Instagram Story is important for several reasons:
- It is the only way for people to immediately know who posted the Story. People will be able to see a real photo or video of the poster, instead of just text or a logo.
- It helps to create a consistent look for the poster’s Stories. People will be able to identify a Story as the poster’s simply because the First Person is consistent across all the Stories the poster provides.
- It can help the poster to gain more followers. People may be more likely to follow an account when they can recognize who is posting the content.
2. Understanding the Meaning of a First Person Story
First person stories play an important role in literature and storytelling, as they allow the reader to experience a story from the point of view of a narrator within the text. It is, therefore, important to understand the complexities of a story told in the first person to gain a full appreciation of the text.
Features of First Person Stories
- The narrator of a first person story is the protagonist, and all of the action is experienced from their perspective.
- The narrator may be totally reliable, reporting the events in an honest, accurate way. Alternatively, they may be unreliable, with a bias or tendency to distort events.
- First person stories tend to be a particularly intimate way of telling stories, as the narrative is close to the narrator’s experiences, memories, and opinions.
Different Types of First Person Narrator
- The omniscient narrator knows all the facts of the story, and can comment on the thoughts and feelings of all of the characters.
- The participant narrator is closely involved in the story, with limited omniscience, and describes events as they occur.
- The limited narrator has limited knowledge and understanding, and only the most basic awareness of the events in the story.
It is important to understand the characteristics of different types of first person stories to get the full benefit out of the reading experience, allowing the reader to gain as much insight as possible into the characters and events of the story.
3. The Benefits of Posting as a First Person
Next to sharing content on social media in your own, unique voice, there are other advantages of posting as a first person. Here are three of them:
- More Authenticity
When you are talking about yourself and your personal experiences, it increases your credibility. Users appreciate reading more authentic stories, which in turn increases their engagement. Posting in the first person also allows you to tell your story more persuasively than a monotonous third-person narrative.
- Greater Engagement Opportunities
You can provoke more likes, shares, and comments when you are expressing your own ideas and thoughts. Those reactions to your thoughts, emotions, and experiences help strengthen the bond with your followers and boosts the visibility of your content.
- Easy to Humanize a Brand
Sharing experiences and stories allows you to draw attention and stir emotions in your audience. People will relate better to the person behind a product or service if you are talking about it as an individual. This helps build up trust as well as loyalty towards your brand.
Posting on social media in the first person gives you a great opportunity to create personal and engaging content. People will relate better to the story you are telling and show a positive response.
4. What Do the Different Types of First Person Stories Mean?
First person stories can either mean narrated stories, or stories written in the first person perspective. Narrated stories are told by a narrator and use “I” as the narrator explains his or her own events. On the other hand, stories written in the first person involve the protagonist telling the story as “I”.
The most common type of first person story is the memoir, which is a story told from the perspective of the writer’s own experience. It often includes detailed memories or themes, and introduces key characters in the writer’s life. Autobiographies involve a narrator telling his or her own story and can be a recounting of one’s life and experiences, or a recounting of a certain moment in their life.
Another type of first person story is the personal narrative. These stories are usually shorter than the memoir, and focus on a snapshot in time from the narrator’s own experience, usually devoid of a resolution. The main goal is to share a certain emotion or feeling with readers. Finally, there are other less common varieties of first person stories like the testimonial and the comic memoir.
- Memoir: Detailed memories or themes, usually recounting the life of the writer
- Autobiography: Narrator telling their own story, can be a recounting of one’s life and experiences, or a certain moment in their life
- Personal Narrative: Short stories that focus on a snapshot of time, focus on emotions/feelings
- Testimonial: A story told in the first person, often focusing on the impact of a product or service
- Comic Memoir: Novels written in the first person, with elements of fiction and fun included
5. Conclusions: Is an Instagram First Person Story Right for You?
An Instagram First Person Story (IFPS) can be a useful tool in telling complex, multifaceted stories. However, it is not suitable for every situation. It is important to consider the implications of using an IFPS before you decide whether it is the right approach for you.
Here are some key considerations that can help you determine if an IFPS is right for your project:
- Audience: Who are you targeting with your story? It’s important to ensure that the IFPS format will resonate with them.
- Purpose: What is the purpose of the story? Is it to educate, entertain, or both? If the purpose of the story is to educate, an IFPS may not be the best approach.
- Cost: An IFPS requires vast resources in terms of time, money, and energy. Are you able to invest these resources in the project?
Ultimately, the decision of whether an IFPS is right for you depends on your goals, resources, and target audience. If you determine that an IFPS is the right approach, it can be an effective way to bring complex stories to life on Instagram.
Therefore, it’s important to think about the message you are sending through your Instagram stories when you decide to feature the first person. It could be interpreted as favoritism or exclusion, so it should be considered with care. Finally, remember that everyone can see what you post and draw their own conclusions from it.