For any content creator looking to maximize their reach and engagement on Instagram, timing is one of the most important factors to consider. Knowing when to post your content can make all the difference for your social media success, so understanding the worst times to post on Instagram is just as important. In this article, we’ll explore what the absolute worst time to post on Instagram is, and provide you with tips on how to make sure you are strategizing the right timing for your posts.
1. Overview of Instagram Posting Considerations
Posting on Instagram is an important tool for marketing your business. There are a few key points to consider when creating your content. Knowing when, how, and what to post is key to increasing engagement and visibility.
Consider When it’s Best to Post
In general, the best times to post are around 9:00–11:00 AM EST, or 5:00–7:00 PM EST on weekdays. However, if your audience is located across multiple countries, you may need to adjust the times. Additionally, you may want to consider the user activity within each peak hour and the competition to ensure your content stands out.
- Weekdays are best for engagement
- Adjust posting time depending on location
- Evaluate user activity
Think About How Much to Post
Your audience won’t necessarily want to see posts from your business in their feed every single day. Finding a balance between enough posts to stay top of mind, but not too many posts that become annoying and intrusive, is tricky. Check your analytics to find the best frequency for your audience.
- Look at analytics to determine frequency
- Watch for signs of over-posting
- Stay aware of the latest algorithm changes
Discover What Content Type to Use
Segmenting your content adds to its relevancy and helps capture the attention of your followers. Including different types of content, such as live video, polls, stories, and images, can help reach and engage with a wider audience. Think about what content best aligns with your brand and what your followers will find interesting.
- Include variety of content types
- Stay true to brand values
- Focus on interesting, relevant content
2. Understanding the Instagram Algorithm
is key to any successful Instagram marketing strategy. The algorithm is a set of mathematic equations and rules used to determine what content is seen by users and when. If you want to drive engagement and engagement, it’s important to understand how content is ranked in people’s feeds.
The algorithm takes a number of factors into account, such as :
- User engagement: Instagram favors posts with high engagement like likes and comments, which tells the platform those posts are interactive and useful to users.
- Relevancy: Instagram will prioritize content that is related to a user’s interests and lifestyle.
- Timeliness: Content posted near the top of a user’s feed will get more attention, because it’s the most recent post the user sees.
- Timing:The best time to post is when your audience is active, as this will give your content a better chance of being seen by your followers.
It’s also important to remember that the algorithm favours content that is native to the platform and original to your account. Instagram rewards content that is creative and different from what everyone else is posting.
3. Impact of Posting Times on Reach & Engagement
Timing & Audience Activity
It is important to consider when audiences are most active to maximize post reach. Audiences are usually online more during certain parts of the day, such as peak business hours or right after school or work. That is why it is crucial to take into account the online activity of your audiences and optimize the times of your postings accordingly.
Day of the Week
When it comes to posting times, day of the week matters as well. Generally, weekends are the days when people are more engaged with social media since they are on holidays and have more free time. On the other hand, Mondays tend to be slow for posting as people are stressed about going back to work and school. Therefore, it is wise to schedule your posts on the days when people are most likely to engage.
Quality of Posts
Posting times alone won’t ensure engagement. The content you post and the quality of that content has a large impact as well. Make sure to include valuable, engaging, relevant and timely information that is tailored to your specific audiences. Some effective posts may include:
- Videos & photos
- Challenges & contests
- Infographics & other visuals
- Interactive polls & quizzes
When it comes to posting times, it is important to consider when and how often to post, as well as the quality of your posts to maximize reach and engagement.
4. Peak Times to Avoid When Posting on Instagram
Weekdays from 5pm – 7pm
Most people wind down after a long day of work and school activities. This means that they are more likely to be relaxed and have some more time outside of their obligations. As such, this time can often be the most active period on social media throughout the week. By posting at this time, you will be competing with everyone else who is online.
Weekends right after waking up
Weekends tend to be the most popular times to post on social media, and Instagram is no exception. After waking up, people typically reach for their phones to check what they missed while they slept. Posting at this time can make your post seem generic and buried under all the other content.
Before major events such as holidays
People tend to share a lot of posts on social media before holidays or other major events. As a result, feed activity before these events can be overwhelming. If you want your content to be seen, it can be beneficial to wait for a few days after the event has ended to post about it.
5. Maximizing the Benefits of Strategic Posting on Instagram
Posting strategic content on Instagram can be a useful tool for building your presence and creating a stronger engagement base with your followers. Here are a few ways to maximize the benefit of strategizing your posts:
- Learn the Platform’s Algorithm: It’s important to understand how Instagram’s algorithm works in order to maximize the reach of your post. For example, posts with high engagement rates will be given higher priority, and also take note of hashtags that have a higher reach.
- Consistent Posting: Keep your posting profile consistent to make sure potential followers know when to expect new content from you. Regular posts also ensure followers don’t forget about you in between bigger updates, as it’s easy to be forgotten in today’s fast-paced digital environment.
- Use High-Quality Content: Photos and videos posted on Instagram should be of high-quality, as the platform has millions of users posting similar content daily. Yours must stand out, so plan out what you want to post and take the time to refine it before publishing it.
Furthermore, diversify your content as your followers may grow bored with the same kind of post day after day. Experiment with different post formats, like polls, embedded videos, carousels, and stories. It’s also an opportunity to let people know more about you and your brand, so you can also post more intimate content, like travel stories and behind-the-scenes footage. Do this regularly, and you’ll see the benefit over time.
There’s no hard and fast rule when it comes to when is the best time to post on Instagram. It all comes down to understanding your target audience, engaging with them on an regular basis, and fine-tuning when is the best time for you to make your posts. Experimentation plays a key role in figuring out when is the best time for you post. By tracking the insights from your previous posts and adjusting your post schedule accordingly, you’ll have the best chance of gaining maximum engagement and reaching your biggest fans.