Are you wondering why you can’t make any changes to your profile picture on Instagram? You may have seen other people around you that seem to be able to do it with ease but when you try to do the same, you’re unsuccessful. This article will provide an in depth explanation as to why you cannot change your profile picture on Instagram and what alternatives you can turn to.
1. Understanding Instagram Profile Picture Restrictions
Profile size and type
Instagram users can upload profile pictures in either JPG or PNG format that should not exceed the maximum size of 110 x 110 pixels. Any uploaded photos or illustrations should contain only one single subject without any frame, border or text.
Instagram does not allow certain content in profiles such as:
- Photos with pornographic content.
- Photos where the subject is unrecognizable and has no head or face.
- Photos with text overlaid or added.
- Photos with any suggestion of violence, extreme sports, drugs and more.
It is important to adhere to Instagram’s guidelines and restrictions, as any inappropriate pictures will be removed and could lead to profile suspension.
Other Instagram profile details
Besides the profile picture, Instagram users can add a short 150 character bio to describe themselves and others can search hashtags, accounts and locations on their profile. They can also add a website link and contact information, such as their phone number, email and physical address.
2. What Plays a Role in How You Can Change Your Profile Picture
Changing your profile picture is as easy as selecting a new image – if you’re familiar with the social media platform you’re using. Generally, profile image changes are managed via the ‘edit profile’ or ‘settings’ sections of the social media platform. Depending on the platform, the following plays a role in how you can change your profile picture:
- Who Can View Your Profile Picture – On some platforms, there may be the option to select a profile picture that only certain users can view.
- Image Size – Most platforms provide guidelines on the size requirements for profile pictures.
- Format – Profile pictures may need to be uploaded in a certain image format such as .jpg or .png.
In many cases, you’ll also get the chance to crop your profile picture before it is accepted by the social media platform. Understanding the platform’s rules and requirements for profile pictures can make it easier to select the right picture.
3. How to Change Your Instagram Profile Picture
Changing a Profile Picture on iOS and Android
To change your Instagram profile picture, first open your Instagram app and go to your profile by tapping the ‘profile’ icon (which looks like a person). Once in your profile, tap the gear icon (settings) near the top right corner. Tap the ‘Edit Profile’ option. Here, you’ll see your current profile picture and a ‘Change Profile Photo’ button. Tap that and you’ll be prompted to select a photo to upload from your Camera Roll.
From there, you can select a photo from a variety of sources including your phone’s camera, any albums you have in your camera roll, or search for a photo using Instagram’s search feature. Once you’ve selected a photo, you can crop it and adjust the orientation if you’d like. Once you’re happy with the profile photo, hit save and your new profile photo will be live.
- Open your Instagram app
- Tap the ‘profile’ icon
- Tap the gear icon (settings)
- Tap ‘Edit Profile’
- Tap ‘Change Profile Photo’
- Select a photo to upload
- Crop, adjust orientation if necessary
- Hit ‘save’
4. Troubleshooting Steps for Unable to Change Your Profile Picture
Verify Account Settings are Correct
If you are unable to change the profile picture on your account, the first thing to do is to check whether your account settings are correct. This will confirm that you are logged in and that the settings are accurate.
Check if the Image is the Correct Format
The most common reason why an image won’t upload is because it’s not the correct format. Ensure that the image is in the required dimensions, file size and aspect ratio. Supported formats include .JPEG, .JPG or .PNG.
Clear Your Cache and Cookies
Occasionally, your browser’s cached versions of the files may conflict with the updated versions and cause issues. Try clearing your cache, cookies and any other temporary files, then retry the upload. If this does not work, try a different browser or device.
5. When Can You Change a Profile Picture on Instagram?
Changing the profile picture of your Instagram is easy, and can be done at any time. Here are the five steps to update your profile picture on Instagram:
- Open the app: Open Instagram, and visit your account page to begin the process.
- Tap on the profile picture: Search for the profile picture icon, and tap on it to proceed.
- Tap on the photo picker: Look for the photo picker option, and tap on it.
- Choose a profile picture : Select a profile picture from your existing library or the camera roll.
- Make necessary adjustments : Especially if you are using a rectangle image, ensure to move and adjust the image as per your preferences.
After making all the changes and ensuring that it fits your preferences, click on the Done button. Your profile picture will be changed on Instagram and the process is complete.
You can change a profile picture whenever you want, on Instagram. It’s important to keep a profile picture updated, as it gives viewers an insight into who you are and also reflects your current preferences.
It is important to remember that your profile photo is the face of your Instagram account, so choose wisely and make sure it is appropriate. Be aware that you cannot update your Instagram profile photo as often as you may like, but you can still ensure that it is your best representation of yourself.