Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms today, with users from all around the world uploading their photos and videos. But if you’ve just joined Instagram, you may have noticed that you have reels instead of an explore page. This can be puzzling for new users, so in this article we take a look at why you have reels instead of an explore page on Instagram.
1. What Exactly Is an Instagram Reel?
Instagram Reels is a short-form video and audio sharing feature that was released by Instagram in August 2020. It was created as a way to compete with TikTok, and is initially being tested in select markets such as Brazil, Germany and India. Reels allows users to record and edit fun, creative videos that are up to 15 seconds in length. They can add music and special effects such as filters, stickers, and text.
How to View Reels
Users can access and view Reels by selecting the Reels option in the Instagram Explore tab. From here they can view their own Reels as well as Reels posted by other users, brands and celebrities that they follow. Additionally, they can also search for Reels videos using hashtags and keywords.
How to Create Reels
Creating a Reel is fairly straight forward. Users simply need to open the Instagram camera and select the Reels option. They can then record a video consisting of up to 15 seconds, or 15 separate clips, each of which cannot exceed 7 seconds. They can then add music, effects, filters and text to their video. Once their Reel is complete, users can share it publicly or with specific people. It can then be seen in the Explore tab and via their followers, depending on their chosen privacy setting.
2. Advantages of Reels Over an Explore Page
1. Variety of Content: With Reels, users get to pick between a wide range of 15, 30 and 60 second videos. This gives them the freedom to curate the type of content they are interested in. They can create compilations of certain types of videos and clips which they can share on their stories or as posts. On the other hand, an Explore page only shows users photos and videos of other people that are hashtagged as trending or as recommended by Instagram. So there is no control over the type of content shown and often users miss out on interesting and exciting content.
2. Flexible Creation: Creating a Reel requires only a few simple steps. Users first create videos, then apply filters and other effects, and finally share with their followers. Reels also allow users to trim and edit specific parts of the video so that only the best part can be parsed out. With an Explore page, however, users cannot edit or trim any type of content. So users are stuck with the same content that is shown to them. On the other hand, Reels gives them the freedom to create and share their content in whatever way they want.
3. Time Savings: Creating and posting videos on an Explore page is time-consuming. It requires the user to upload their video, select hashtags and other settings, and then wait for others to view it. With Reels, users can quickly create, edit, add filters and effects and share the content with their followers. They can also view and comment on others’ Reels with just a few taps. So compared to an Explore page, Reels is a much faster and more convenient platform to share videos.
3. Potential Disadvantages of Having Reels
Reels can give you unprecedented exposure and help increase your visibility on various platforms. However, there are some potential pitfalls associated with them as well.
First, creating meaningful content can be challenging if you’re not used to it. Especially if you’re a beginner to using Reels, you might find it tough to make something interesting and engaging. You’ll need to use music, special effects, transitions, and more to make an impactful Reel.
Second, making a Reel may require specific software and expensive equipment. You might not have access to these resources, which can serve as an obstacle for creating high-quality Reels. Additionally, you must need to stay up to date with the latest trends, otherwise, you could easily get lost in the competition.
Third, not everyone can use Reels. This feature is only available on certain platforms like Instagram or TikTok, which makes it difficult for people who are only on one of those platforms to showcase their content.
- Creating meaningful content can be challenging
- You might need access to specific software and equipment
- Availability of Reels is limited to certain platforms
4. Strategies for Effective Instagram Reel Content
Capture Quality Content
Producing quality content is of utmost importance for a successful Instagram Reel. Posters should use good lighting, high-quality cameras and to their advantage while they are creating their content. Investing in the right equipment, like a DSLR camera or a good microphone, will ensure that the content looks and sounds professional.
In addition to equipment, props can help enhance the visuals of the content. Be sure to carefully plan and structure the Reel to make it aesthetically pleasing, as it will help engage more viewers and will make the Reel stand out from other content.
Engage with Audience
Posters need to engage with the followers who watch their Reels by replying to comments, sharing relevant content with their followers and responding to questions. This helps foster a relationship between the poster and the audience, which can help build a loyal fanbase.
Posters can also participate in hashtag challenges and collaborate with other content-makers to increase the reach of their content. This helps draw attention to their content, as well as building connections with other content-makers.
Hashtags can be a great way to increase the visibility of the content and reach a wider audience. Posters should use relevant, popular hashtags that are related to the topic of their Reel. This ensures that the content appears on relevant pages, thereby gaining additional reach.
Posters can also utilize trending hashtags on Instagram Reel posts for additional visibility. However, It is important to ensure that the content is relevant and high-quality in order to gain maximum benefit from the hashtags.
5. Tips for Maximizing Visibility on Instagram Reels
1. Create Relevant Content: Create content that is related to your audience. Make sure you include helpful information and tips that will interest your followers. Use creative visuals and short videos that are easy to understand.
2. Use Hashtags: To improve the visibility of your Instagram Reel, you need to use relevant hashtags to reach the right target audience. Take the time to research popular hashtags related to your topic and add it to your reel.
3. Post at Times of High Activity: Another way to increase visibility on Instagram Reels is to post during peak activity times. Check your analytics to identify when the most views and engagement take place and then plan your posts accordingly.
- Respond to Questions
- Regularly promote your Reels
- Link to other Platforms
- Create Reels Series
- Add Reels to Your Highlights
The key to having an Explore page instead of Reels on Instagram is understanding the platform’s algorithm and what kind of content it is most likely to promote. Increase your content’s visibility by focusing on quality posts that your followers will enjoy and engage with. With some strategic maneuvering, you can be sure to have an Explore page in no time.